Students Need Recess

As an elementary student, I loved the classroom. I loved solving math equations, reading books, taking tests, making art projects, and everything else. At the same time, I tended to get easily distracted and find my brain wandering when stuck in the classroom for too much time without a real break. Snack breaks and nap breaks were helpful and refreshing, but not as much as recess. 

Getting out of the classroom is vital for students to return with a refreshed mindset, better listening skills, and more focus. Eight in 10 principals acknowledge that time to play has a “positive impact on achievement,” and two-thirds of principals state that “students listen better after recess and are more focused in class.”

Recess also has a positive impact on kids’ mental health. Amanda Kost, representing the University of Washington faculty, said recess and physical activity are “critically important for mental health,” and students with good mental health can then achieve their academic goals.

Schools have a range of how long they offer recess. A 2009 survey from the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction found half of the districts that responded to the survey provided 30 to 45 minutes of recess a day, while a third provided between 16 and 30 minutes a day. Half of the respondents at the time provided two recess periods, with 21% saying they provided three periods. 

Recess is more than necessary for children. Even just a short amount of time outside improves many aspects of their personal life and life in the classroom. 

One thought on “Students Need Recess”

1. I love this topic!! I can tell alot of readers would relate to the argument. Its very well organized in terms of sentence structure and generally. I honestly don’t have any revision suggestions!